This past weekend I traveled 1,651 miles (yes, I looked it up) to visit one of my best friends in Minnesota. We have been trying to see each other once a year, and this year she wasn’t going to be able to escape winter and come visit me. Instead I came to her. And it snowed. Figures. Actually I really enjoyed the snow anytime we were inside buildings.
We spent the weekend talking, eating, shopping, and more talking. It was just what I needed. I returned home Sunday night completely exhausted, but also completely filled up. I was thinking on the flight home about what lessons this weekend taught me, so I’ve decided to share the random lessons I took away from this weekend with all of you!
- Friendship – Ladies, you need friendship with other women. If you’ve struggled with that in the past, then take some time to figure out why, and work to fix it. Girlfriends can speak into our lives in a way that husbands can’t. And I don’t know about you, but my kids aren’t so much speaking into my life as they are asking me for their 1,000th snack of the day.
- Marriage – A healthy marriage celebrates and supports what makes the other person happy. My husband never once complained that I left him for four days with the kids while he balanced a very busy work season. And guess what? I didn’t prepare a bunch of meals ahead of time, or kill myself trying to get all the laundry done. I left them with some cash, gave them each a kiss, and I was off duty. In your marriage, give each other time to invest in your friendships, hobbies, or the things that set your hearts on fire. You will have a very happy spouse return to you, which really benefits everyone.
- You are more than a mom – The last night I was there, my friend and I stayed up until 3:00 in the morning watching both Pitch Perfect movies, and eating her kids’ Halloween candy. Why did we do this? Because we could! Because we wanted to soak up every minute having fun together before another year passed. Because we wanted to pretend we were 20 years old again, and we wouldn’t suffer for our choices the next day. Spoiler alert – it’s been three days and I think I’m still kind of suffering from that choice. Would I change it? No way! It was so much fun to be a little irresponsible.
- Magnetic Masks – Seriously if you have a chance to use a face mask that comes off with a MAGNET, do it!! One of our traditions is to go to Sephora and buy face masks to have a spa night. This year Sephora had a mask sampler pack so we each bought one. It was so fun to just hang out in our robes, and experiment with this crazy mask that lifted right off when you ran the enclosed magnet across the surface. It was magical! Maybe it’s not a magnet mask for you, but do something that’s fun and that’s just for you.
- The final lesson! If you move to a place that has no snow, you’ll think you miss it, but you really don’t. It sure is pretty though!
Maybe you won’t travel miles away to visit a friend, but plan something this month that will feed your soul; something that will fill you up. You will become a better wife, a better mom, and a better friend to the other friends in your life. I can’t wait until next year!!